Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not Fun

Last night as I motored into the night there were thunderstorms to my east. Not good. Then the engine went"Bang" and I found the fresh water cooling pump destroyed with the shaft broken clean off. So with very little wind I start sailing. Then the line of thunderstorms comes right over me at 1 am until 3 am. That sound of thunder was very scary. Lightening was hitting the water around me. I was very scared. Luckily I did not get hit. Then in the morning the wind dies eventually to zero. I have to
sit there as I see another line of thunderstorms approaching. I was not happy. Then a NE wind started and I started sailing north away from the thunderstorms. The wind continued to increase to 30 knots. I raced to the north. Now I am sailing fast in 20 knots with 8 foot seas. The sky is cloudy with squalls all around but at least I am sailing. This was not a fun episode to my trip.

1 comment:

Dave Del Rosario said...

Wow, I was in lighting once down by Waimea Bay and it was very scary! Glad to hear you are making headway again. Hang in there Ron, you're almost home.

Dave
Kaneohe Bay, Hi