Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Good Sailing Day

The wind made a dramatic change today by turning to the southeast. At the same time I made my easting goal so I had headed north. That put me on a nice beam reach in 12-15 knot wind. Can't get better than that. Boat speed was up to 6 knots. Now however this evening the winds have dropped to only 10 knots so have have slowed down again. Oh well, nothing I can do about that. My next waypoint is at 10N where I will turn northwest for Hawaii. I will clear the Big Island on the east side then going down
the island chain along the north. That way I avoid the wind shadow of the mountains and also the nasty channels. I have yet to encounter any squalls but that time is coming in a few days when I cross the ITCZ at 8-10N. I am hoping I will slip through easily like we did on the way down. I have been enjoying the sailing. It is peaceful and quiet yet a challenge to keep the boat sailing well.

No comments: