Friday, September 14, 2007

Busy Day

I had the best speed over 24 hrs since I left. I made 150 miles at an average of 6.25 knots. That's moving pretty fast for this 28' boat. Just as I am enjoying that progress I enter the ITCZ or "the doldrums" with a mean squall that blew in at 32 knots. The waves seem to immediately get huge and from all directions. After weathering that blast the wind went calm or nearly so. Now I am motoring to get to the other side of the ITCZ. It is not certain how long that will be as the width varies and it
also moves around. I hit it earlier than expected. Now if it moves north that wouldn't be so good. I have lots of fuel to get me through. I can expect more rain and squalls before I'm past it and constantly changing conditions. I should be back in the trades by 10N. I'm at 6 30N now. That would be 210 miles. I have not seen any traffic since I left. I do see various birds and millions of flying fish. They remind me of flocks of birds like doves that all takeoff at the same time. They are constantly
flying off in large schools from in front of the boat. I have had a few on deck as well. I'm looking forward to getting to the East trades turning the boat for Hawaii.

No comments: