Friday, August 17, 2007

Bora Bora

I am still anchored at the BBYC. It has been a windy week so I have just stayed put. I have been working on the boat getting it ready for the long sail home. Also I have been ashore on my bike. That has worked well for me to explore or take a shopping trip to town. This is a beautiful island with the central mountains and reef motus. It is actually rather quiet though, much more like Kaneohe than Waikiki for sure. The town of Vaitape is small and only provides basic services. Otherwise houses surround the whole island along the shoreline and the interior is undeveloped. There are many luxury resorts however. There are a huge number of dogs, both as pets or just wild. They are everywhere you look. There must be more dogs than people. They tend to bark all night. Also there as many chickens. So they do their thing most anytime but especially at night. Another feature I noticed is the people are always cleaning up there yards are burning the waste. So most days has the smell of smoke in the air from somewhere. Anyway this is a beautiful place and will be heading out tomorrow to the east side of the island within the lagoon to explore some of the motus. There's great beaches and coral reefs there. It should be nice.

No comments: