Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Perfect Weather

Our weather has become just perfect with 12 kt easterly wind and sunny skies. This the most relaxed sailing I've ever done. Just amazing! We are heading south but able to make some easting at night it seems. Winds always pick up at night and back to the East. We had an uneventful night which was welcomed. The Ham radio is having great difficulty for voice communication. It handles data okay. It was suggested I had corrosion problem on the 12V connection. We stopped the boat so I could get into the
battery compartment and check the radio connections. The cables on each post were not in top shape. I cleaned them all and tightened them down well. Hopefully it work better for the net tonight. If not I will check the back of the radio itself. I also fixed the refrigeration. It had been cycling on and off and basically not working. I found the 12v supply at the switch was corroded. After cleaning that the refer is working again. I guess boat repairs is a common theme out here for everyone. I should
have taken a good shake down cruise before I left but time, weather and health can make that difficult to schedule. Anyway we are looking at some really nice sailing and making good progress. We will be crossing the equator in 2 days. We are now over half way with an expected arrival in Papeete around the 23rd.
Ron
A quick update...BIG marlin strike a little while ago, at least 300 pounds. He was stripping my reel to nothing, jumping, thrashing, tail walking everything. When the line was nearly gone I tightened the drag to break the line. Luckily I got my line back. Very exciting to watch. I did not need to catch this fish!!

1 comment:

noble silence said...

Sailing the pacific ocean and some rambling thoughts from a distant shore....
1 The most important time in your life is now.
2.The most important place in the world is s/v hookahiko on whose seaworthiness your lives depend.
3 The most important person in the world is the one you are with as your very survival in the mighty ocean will require interdependence.
"Time goes by, Time goes by...
Alas,Not Time itself but
hookahiko goes by...
Godspeed