Thursday, June 14, 2007

Equator Day

We are about 30 miles from the equator. Oh Oh!! Hana Pau!! I'm back. AS I was writing this the reel went off. Another marlin, darn it. This one was smaller, maybe 150 or so. I was able to stop him but it would be a long battle and we did not want this fish anyway. I tightened the drag down and in this case the hook pulled out so no lost gear. So what was I saying..oh ya, we are nearly to the equator sailing well in 12 kt wind making easting again. Another gorgeous sunrise with perfect weather. We
were able to stop motoring at sunset last night. Should have a nice sailing breeze for awhile. I am happy to make some more easting for the eventual SE wind. A bit further east will assure us of a good reach to Tahiti. Fishing lines are back out hoping for something in the 10 pound class for dinner.
Ron

2 comments:

noble silence said...

Poems of sailing and the sea
Sea Fever
I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's click and the winds song and the white sails shaking,
And a gray mist on the sea's face, and a gray dawn breaking.

i must go down to seas again, for the call of the running tide,
is a wild call and a clear call that cannot be denied....
John Masefield
Sailing
Fantasy it get's the best of me
When I'm sailing
All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me
It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me.....
Christopher Cross.

The Sea Gypsy
I am fevered with the sunset,
I am fretful with the the bay,
For the wander thirst is in me
And my soul is in Tahiti.
There's a schooner in the offing
With her topsails shot with fire,
And my heart has gone aboard her
For the islands of desire...
Richard Hovey

Ancient Mariner
Water water everywhere
And all the boards did shrink
Water water every where nor any drop to drink...
Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Smooth sailing and don't fall asleep on the nightwatch

Anonymous said...

Wow~I had a lot to catch up on. It's been a busy week here and I wasn't able to read your blog for a few days. Those "low's" you write about make me a bit nervous. I love my Uncle very much and would like to see and spend time with him again. :o) Totally exciting reading about your 300lb Marlin. It was amazing to picture it I can only imagine how awesome to see the action in person. Ok, I must go put Gwen to bed.....check in soon :o) ~Molly~