Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day 5

We are still tracking right along. We are easily holding our planned course on a very loose close reach. The seas are moderate at 5'. Yesterday after sunrise a large ship was spotted crossing our bow at 3 miles. Showed up well on radar. Hope we don't see anymore. Sleeping was better last night without the squalls to attend to. I was able to fix the fishing reel so now we have both lines out but still no fish. I do see some birds but no big piles. Some dolphins visited again. We are eating fine. I
made my easy Panang Curry on rice. That was a hit with the crew. Were not really eating that much. Maybe I'll lose a little weight. We have sailed 650 miles. It seems like such a long way, now that I'm doing it. But each day rolls into the next and the time goes by fast. I haven't had time to read. Sailing the boat, managing problems, and sleeping eats up the day. I am really pleased with the Ham radio. I have checked in each day with Pacific Seafarers Net. My signal goes out clear and the process
is easy. They are a great organization. Its comforting to talk to someone and they know we are here. And I should mention how wonderful it is to be able send email and download weather. Progress has been good. Our best was 140 miles in 24 hr. We are averaging 120/day. It would be better but the half knot current slows us down. We usually keep it going close to 6 kts. We are sailing under double reefed main and deeply reefed jib and staysail. We vary the jib with the wind. Last night we kept the jib
small and the speed down to 5 kts. That is better for night time. We heard Brandon caught a 120# Ahi on his new boat. That is great for him. Hello to everybody. Hope all is well.
Ron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my Uncle Ron! Yay for fixing the fishing pole. I hope you catch lots of fish. That panang curry sounds great. I hope you'll share your recipe. :o)

XOXO
Molly :o)

noble silence said...

Dr. Ong Eng San from Singapore(born in Penang) says PENANG and not PANANG-must be a new concoction cooked up by Ong Ling?
When you are hungry everything tastes yummy.
Good luck for the rest of the journey.
ongengsan