Thursday, September 6, 2007

Status Report

I still have NE wind but now it is a steady 15 kts which is good for my boat speed. I am averaging about 5.2 knots. I am able to sail nearly true north so I am not losing too much to the west. I'm close to the 150W longitude line. So I am making good progress to the north. Tomorrow I should see east wind which will help me work back to the east. The weather is really nice without a cloud anywhere. I have yet to be hit by a squall for this whole trip. The seas are moderate for this wind with no significant
swell. I cleared Caroline Atoll last evening by just 10 miles to the east. That was a little too close.
I tried fishing yesterday but had a problem with the frigate birds. They would swoop down on my lure and pick up the leader, fly up with it, then drop it. When I reeled it in fast they followed it nearly into the cockpit with me. They look very big from 5 feet away. So I postponed fishing for awhile. I was afraid they would fly into my wind generator. They just seemed bored and wanted to play.
The radar is a disappointment. It now shows the same fault that I had previously. I would have to climb the mast, open the dome, remove 11 small screws and reset the plug. Not going to happen! So I can forget about radar. The good news is there is NOBODY out here. Many people with radar don't use them out here anyway as they draw too much power. I do have the best radar reflector made and my lights are nice and bright. I will be more diligent about looking for traffic at night.
I managed to make coffee without spilling everything all over. So that's progress for sure. I am doing a lot of reading to keep from getting bored. Overall this is fairly enjoyable once I got over the fact I did not get the wind I had ordered. So I am doing good.

1 comment:

Dave Del Rosario said...

Ron, Glad to hear from you after several days. I guess you pilots like to rely on Radar too much! I'm sure you will be OK with out it. Labor day weekend at the sandbar was super crowded and on the last day, Monday there was a big fight and one guy got stabbed be a broken bottle. It was the lead story on the 6 O'clock news.

Keep up the good work!

Dave Del Rosario
Kaneohe, Hawaii