Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fast Sailing

Today the wind really picked up with 20 knots from the ESE. That got me going over 6 knots. Of course that got the seas going as well so it got fairly rough. The fast boat speed was welcome however. Again the weather is clear and sunny. I am approaching the ITCZ so that will change. Also I have watched the E Pacific weather closely for tropical storms that could affect me. The good news is there is nothing to be concerned about now at all. If that can hold for several more days I should have no
problems with storms. Thee boat is doing great. The beam reach puts a strain on the Monitor steering system but it handles it fine. However I keep my fingers crossed that it will continue to do okay under the strain. The crossing swells throws the stern around very forcefully which the Monitor has to counter. The ride has been lively today, like Mr Toads Wild Ride.

1 comment:

Dave Del Rosario said...

Ron, Sounds like things are progressing well. Weather here has been pretty boring.....
Trades 10-15, trades 10-15 for about 3 weeks now. I hope they continue for your arrival. Air has been very clear and beautiful sailing days.

Keep up the good work.

Dave
Kaneohe, Hi